Ebates

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Shopping- What to spend your money on



As I have mentioned before, I grew up the youngest of 5 kids and the only girl! My brothers are all very close in age, which means they were all bottomless pit teenagers at the same time. My parents spent a fortune on groceries, so there was less money available for clothing. Every year for back to school shopping, they would take us to the outlet mall close to our house, give each child the same amount of money to spend and advise us to pick our clothing wisely. This meant making your money go as far as possible, usually by hitting the sales’ racks. The lesson was easy- spend a lot of money on one pair of shoes or buy multiple outfits and shoes on sale. This was the foundation of me learning how to stretch my money.

How to spend your wardrobe money:
  •  Tim Gunn’s 10 Essential Wardrobe Items- These are items to splurge on since they will become staples in your wardrobe.
  •  Cheap accessories- Think Forever 21, Love Culture, Charming Charlie, Target, etc. Accessories go in and out of style quickly and can totally change the look of an outfit.
  • Shoes- This is totally up to your discretion, I personally always try to buy shoes that are on sale or browse discount stores (Ross, TJ Maxx, Marshall's) for great brands and designs at great prices.
  •  Make a list before you shop and do some research online!
    •  If you check out my “Style Inspiration” board on Pinterest and you will see things like “Spring wish list- blue suede shoes.” I always make a list of the exact items I want for my wardrobe which helps me limit my spending as well as limit impulse buys.
    •  Comparing prices online will not only help you find the best price for the item you’re looking for and set a budget but, in many cases you can call a store ahead of time, have them located the item in your size and put it on hold for you. This means going straight to the register to pay for your item, again avoiding impulse buys!
    •  I do shop online frequently. Why? Because as much as I love clothes, I hate overcrowded stores and, like many women, I don’t exactly have a lot of free time to shop. A lot of sites offer free shipping when you order a certain dollar amount of clothing and, I’ve found in many cases, while you can fall in love with an item online, it doesn’t necessarily mean that your local store carries it in your size or at all. If you frequently shop at a particular store then it should be easy to know what size to order.

No comments:

Post a Comment