What I realized about this outfit- It kinda makes me look like an Easter basket. What I love about this outfit- There's not much to it and it is guaranteed to keep me cool in the 100+ degree weather Denver has been having (especially once I ditch the cardigan outside). What else would help keep me cool? Rain. It would also help extinguish the tens of thousands of acres of burning land from Colorado's numerous wildfires. Please help me pray for rain, and if you want to follow my lead, please text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation to help the wildfire victims in Colorado. It looks like the apocalypse here and every dollar matters to help getting those victims some relief.
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
Happy Hump Day! I decided to experiment with royal blue and peach today (colors to express midweek blues plus trying to pretend I'm happy about having to work today). I think I like the result!
Not happy about having to work today? Just fake it til you make it, we're almost through the week!
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
So, let's just face it, whether or not I have Monday off or am overwhelmed by a pile of work on my desk, I haven't been very good about posting what I wear to work when I do work every other Monday. Yesterday I decided to start off the week on a bright and bold note. However, even the bright colors I was wearing and all the coffee in the world could not wake me up enough on the dreaded first day of the work week.
Friday, June 22, 2012
"Yurple"= yellow and purple. A combination I turn to frequently, not just because it resembles the colors of my alma mater (Whittier College- purple and gold), but also because it is a great vibrant combination.
Outfit details: White lace sleeve blouse, yellow cardigan, and purple pencil skirt- Forever 21; Purple faux suede moccasins- Target; Bracelets- Forever 21 and Target; Necklace- Forever 21; Earrings- Target.
One more day to get through before the weekend finally begins! Stay cool everyone!
One more day to get through before the weekend finally begins! Stay cool everyone!
Thursday, June 21, 2012
It's Thursday, one more day to go! Since Denver has been experiencing near 100 degree temperatures lately (and it's only June), I chose to stick with a linen pencil skirt and the "sock bun" today. I am praying for clouds and rain this weekend (it happened yesterday!), but that is unlikely...
|Above my knees but past my finger tips- see appropriate skirt length post.|
P.S. I hope everyone enjoyed the Summer Solstice yesterday :)
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Happy Monday... I mean Tuesday, everyone! (well, it's my Monday). You may have noticed that I neglected to post on Friday. It was not because I forgot, it's because I decided I REALLY hated my outfit once I got to work. The pink and orange color block worked and the belt, flats, and suitcase purse worked. The knee-length shorts (I think they're called Bermuda shorts?), however, were a DISASTER. I bought them years ago, when they were a dressy style that was "in style", but, I realized that no amount of positioning myself in awkward angles in pictures would make them flattering, ever. Next time I will just go with white dress pants, even if it is 99 degrees outside. As for the two pairs of shorts like this that I own (I have some in grey too), I am purging them from my closet effective immediately!
So, why share this outfit with you? Because no one is perfect and, in lieu of today's June photo of the day being titled "imperfect", I figured a whole post could sum up "the outfit that had so much potential". Next time...
|Please, don't panic!|
Thursday, June 14, 2012
Happy Friday Eve everyone! We are almost through the week and June is flying by a little too fast for my liking. So, as you could probably tell from my post the other day, I am currently suffering a couple of a leg injuries, mostly just some bad bruises, but also a broken toe. This means I will be in flats for awhile, but I find the break from heels to be a bit of a relief. Why? Because wearing heels and walking on the hard marble floors in the capitol gives me TERRIBLE foot cramps. I've learned this is because I have high arches and the lack of arch support in heels make my feet freak out usually right as I get home from work, or, they inconveniently wait until I have already crawled into bed and am relaxed. Either way, I have found some very useful ways to treat and prevent cramping and pain.
- Stash a few hand towels in your freezer. This may seem a bit odd, but since in heels there is a lot of pressure on your bones and joints, as well as muscles, I have found it helpful to wrap a frozen towel around each foot and elevate them for 10-15 minutes when I get home (plus it's easier than holding ice packs on your feet). This can be followed by soaking feet in warm water afterwords to relieve muscle aches. Always remember to ice BEFORE you add heat.
- Rub tiger balm on your feet. So, I am absolutely in love with Tiger Balm's Neck and Shoulder Rub, but I've found it also helps soothe aching feet. Just follow the instructions to ensure you don't apply it too close to soaking your feet or too soon after. The cool tingling sensation has the relaxing effect of a foot massage.
- Alternate between heels and flats. I try not to wear heels two days in a row. This gives my feet some recovery time from the previous day. If you must wear heels multiple days in a row, I suggest alternating with wedges. They still have the effect of added height but the construction is more supportive of the entire foot.
- Properly break in shoes. I own a shoe stretcher and I use the freezer technique to ensure that my shoes don't rub in all the wrong places. I've also heard that wearing wet socks with a new pair of shoes and breaking them in around the house is effective, though I have yet to try it.
- Add padding! I have put insert pads in every single one of my pair of heels to properly cushion the ball of the foot and heel, as well as sometimes line the back of the heel to prevent blisters. I also have a couple sets of arch support pads. These can be used in heels and flats and are easily transferred from one pair of shoes to another with the use of double sided tape.
- Always carry a travel size Vaseline and a couple bandages in your purse. Remember my work emergency kit post? Well, these are two items I always have in my purse as well, since I have a long commute to work involving driving to the light rail station, taking the light rail to the bus (crowded public transportation often means standing most of the ride), then walking from the bus to work. Applying Vaseline to areas that rub against shoes is the most effective way I've found to prevent blisters. While "rub relief" applicators fit easily into your purse, the product runs out quickly! A travel size container of Vaseline is a dollar and it lasts forever!
- Don't wear heels if you walk or take public transportation to work. There is nothing worse than already having aching feet when you are just beginning your day. Concrete does not give, nor does it care about the impact it has on your bones and joints. I always make my trek into work in flats, or flip flops now that the weather is warm, and carry my heels in my bag (I carry one bag, separate from my purse, that is devoted to carrying my heels, lunch, and water bottle). I keep an emergency pair of black heels and black flats at my desk in case I forget to pack my shoes in the morning rush to get out the door.
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
So, some days I truly lack originality. Since today is like my Monday (I had yesterday off), today is one of those days. Instead of putting too much effort into what to wear, I took some inspiration from what I wore to an art show at the beginning of spring. By pairing the same blouse with a longer, similar colored skirt and different accessories, I was able to make this look appropriate for work.
Outfit Details: Blouse- Rory Beca for Forever 21; Teal pencil skirt- Forever 21; Metallic Flats- American Eagle (Payless); Bracelets and watch- A combination of Target, Forever 21, and the rhinestone bracelet is about 10 years old... so I have no idea where it is from.
In other news, I have a broken toe, an injured ankle, and two badly bruised shins (which were well-disguised in these pictures). Most of the injuries are from my last two softball games, the broken toe was just from me being clumsy. Either way, I will not be wearing heels for a couple weeks so all my injuries can heal.
Friday, June 8, 2012
If you recall my summer wishlist, I wanted to add more pastels to my closet. Mission accomplished! I thought this look was great for casual Friday, since I'm not sure it's ever appropriate to wear a gauzy skirt to work on any other occasion. I also only wore the sandals for my commute and after work, I keep nude patent flats at my desk and unfortunately they did not make it into the outfit pictures, but I tend to be hoarding shoes at work since it's warm enough to make the long commute in sandals every day.
Outfit Details: Mint tank top and peach cardigan- Forever 21; Skirt- Dress Barn (yes, really, and it's old); Bracelets, necklace and cocktail ring- Forever 21; Gold ring- my grandmother's antique class ring; Belt- off another skirt from Forever 21; Sandals- Dexter (Payless); Shoes worn at work (not pictured)- Lower East Side (Payless).
Peace, love, and sunshine,Kiki